As its name suggests, the members of the Beggars Clan (丐帮) are mostly beggars but there are also non-beggars as well. They are noticeable by the public for dressing and behaving like ordinary beggars. The members of the Beggar Clan are people from poverty. The members are characterized by their strict code of conduct and respect for ranks. They uphold justice and help the poor. They also defend their nation and race from foreign invasion as well.
The clan has a wide communication network and its members are reputed for having excellent information-gathering skills. These are attributed to the clan's large population size, the nature of members which allow them to blend in easily and the organizational structure. One of the unique accordance to the Beggar Clan rules and regulations, no matter how large and important or small a meeting, Beggars Clan members could not lose their identity by sitting on chairs.
|Beggars Clan (丐帮)|
|Founded :||During Han Dynasty|
|Location :||All over Central Plains|
|Characteristics :|| An association of ubiquitous beggars whose strength lie in their ubiquitousness, providing a wide network of informers, mass deployment of crowds. Seniority marked by number of pouches a beggar may wear as a badge of office. Despite their poverty, there is a clear and strict organization and hierarchy, as well as rigid code of honor. Always included as one of the top five sects in the Martial Arts World or Wulin.
The Beggars Clan is divided into two factions, namely the "dirty clothing" faction (污衣派) and the "clean clothing" faction (淨衣派). The "dirty clothing" faction is dominated by beggars while the "clean-clothing" is dominated by non-beggars. It has many headquarters (分舵) spread throughout the Central Plain and each of them is headed by a headquarter master (舵主). The clan holds monthly meetings to discuss their plans in the Jiang Hu at different locations every meeting.
The highly-revered Dog Beating Stick (打狗棒) and wine gourd has been the trademark of the Beggars Clan leader. It's like the golden seal of the emperor to symbolize the authority and position as clan leader.
The Four Great Elders serve as the chief's deputies and reserve with the right to remove the clan leader from power if he fails in his duties. Within these Four Great Elders, there are elders with designated duties. A Discipline Affairs Elder (執法長老) enforces law and order in the clan. The Training Elder (傳功長老) oversees the martial arts training of members.
Beggars Clan bylaws:
- One must not strike at someone who doesn’t know martial art skills
- Members must not get into feuds with others as they pleased
- Members must always help the weak and aid those who are in danger
- Members must show gratitude for those who gave them hand out
- Unless it's an urgent matter, no member shall travel by horseback
- Members have the responsibility to uphold justice
Historical Clan Leader:
- 5th Clan Leader: Wang JianTong (汪劍通)
- 6th Clan Leader: Xiao Feng (蕭峰)
- 7th Clan Leader: Zhuang JuXian (莊聚賢)
- 17th Clan Leader: Clan Leader Qian (錢幫主) / Clan Leader Shi (石幫主, revised edition of The Legend of the Condor Heroes)
- 18th Clan Leader: Hong QiGong
The martial arts of the Beggars Clan are very diversified due to the nature and origin of the members. The members of the clan are not only limited to beggars, people from all walks of life join the clan as well, including scholars and military officers. As such, the martial arts of the clan are rather diverse as well, since some of the members know other forms of martial arts prior to joining the Beggars Clan. A typical member of the clan is usually armed with at least a wooden staff.
- Da Gou Bang Fa (打狗棒) - The Dog Beating Stick Technique is only passed on from the clan leader to his/her successor. No other member, not including the elders, know the Dog Beating Stick Technique.
- Xiang Long Shiba Zhang (降龍十八掌) - 18 Dragon Subduing Palm is one of the most notable martial arts of the Beggars Clan.
- Dog-Beating Formation (打狗陣) - The Beggars Clan battle formation.
The Beggar Clan leader is expected to have a profound mastery of both Dog Beating Stick Technique and 18 Dragon Subduing Palm skills.